For a bunch whose identify is rooted in excellent news, we evangelicals can typically be overly centered on dangerous information. This isnt solely our fault, after all. From mass shootings to terrorist assaults, political incompetence to racial unrest, there was no scarcity of dangerous information tales over the previous 10 years. Demise, destruction, and divisiveness are likely to dominate the information cycle, main us to despair over the course our world is headed.
However whereas we should always not ignore the dangerous information, neither ought to we overlook the excellent news. We serve a sovereign God who governs all issues. As Lamentations 3:37 asks, Who has spoken and it got here to cross, except the Lord has commanded it?
Over the previous decade, God has offered a spread of blessings which have modified a adverse development to apositive one, bettering our lives and the lives of our international neighbors. As we replicate on the tip of the 2010s, we should always give because of God for these 15 “good news” traits.
1. Because the world’s inhabitants continues to rise, extra kids are surviving into maturity. The journal JAMA Pediatrics discovered that from 1990 to 2017, international little one and adolescent deaths decreased 51.7 %, from 13.77 million in 1990 to six.64 million in 2017. And the variety of kids dying from pneumoniathe main trigger of kid mortalityalso decreased from 6,410 per day in 1990 to 2,216 per day in 2017.
2. A decade in the past, scientists and authorities officers feared that the H7N9 chicken flu virus may ignite a human pandemic just like 1918 Spanish flu, which killed 50 million worldwide. However whereas there have been 766 instances of the virus in early 2017, there have been a mere three infections recorded in 2018and none in 2019.
3. Save the Childrens 2019 World Childhood Report reveals the world has made outstanding progress in defending childhoods. The report finds that circumstances for youngsters have improved in 173 out of 176 international locations since 2000, and right now there are:
- 4.Four million fewer little one deaths per yr
- 49 million fewer stunted kids
- 130 million extra kids at school
- 94 million fewer little one laborers
- 11 million fewer ladies pressured into marriage or married early
- Three million fewer teen births per yr
- 12,000 fewer little one homicides per yr
4. The worldwide murder charge has dropped 20 % since 1990. The steepest declines occurred in areas with much less crime total. Between 1990 and 2015, North America and Western Europe skilled a 40 % discount in homicides, Asia had a 37.5 % decline, and Jap Europe and Oceania had a discount of 20 %.
5. Based on the UN, HIV-related deaths in 2018 fell to round 770,000, which is 33 % decrease than in 2010 when 1.2 million deaths have been recorded. Based on the report, an estimated 37.9 million individuals worldwide now stay with HIV, however a report quantity23.Three millionhave entry to antiretroviral remedy, which might management the an infection.
6. Stroke charges for U.S. adults older than 65 have decreased by one-third every decade for the final 30 years, and new diabetes instances have declined by 35 % since 2009, the longest decline for the reason that authorities began monitoring the statistic.
7. 5 years in the past, about half of Indias 1.Three billion inhabitants didn’t have entry to a bathroom. The outcome was a sanitation and public well being nightmare, as individuals needed to relieve themselves in fields, bushes, forests, and our bodies of water. After efforts by the federal government to offer extra amenities, in 2019 almost 93 % of households have been discovered to have entry to bogs, whereas 96.5 % of the individuals who had entry to bogs used them.
8. Deaths from terrorism halved within the final 4 years. Deaths in Europe fell by 70 %, with Western Europe recording its lowest variety of incidents since 2012.
9. Based on Youngster Tendencies, by 2016 the speed of victimization from violent crimes (which embody rape, theft, and aggravated and easy assaults) for adolescents ages 12 to 20 had fallen to a bit greater than one-sixth of the speed within the mid-1990sfrom a excessive of 181 victimizations per 1,000 inhabitants, to 28 victimizations per 1,000. There have been main declines in most sorts of violent crime throughout this era, together with easy assault, aggravated assault, and theft.
10. The variety of individuals killed in wars is the bottom in seven years. For the fourth yr working, the variety of battle-related deaths has fallen, and in contrast with the latest peak in 2014, the variety of fatalities has fallen by 43 %.
11. The abortion charge in the US dropped in 2017 to 13.5, the bottom charge recorded since abortion was legalized in 1973. Abortion charges fell in most states and in all 4 areas of the nation.
12. The teen delivery charge in the US can also be at a report low, dropping to lower than 18 births per 1,000 women and girls ages 15 to 19 for the primary time for the reason that authorities started commonly amassing information on this group.
13. The variety of individuals held in American prisons continues to say no from that populations peak in 2009, in accordance with Justice Division information. A report from the Bureau of Justice Statistics says the variety of prisoners underneath state or federal jurisdiction by the tip of 2017 had dropped to 1.48 million individuals, down from 1.61 million in 2009.
14. A century in the past little one mortality charges exceeded 10 percenteven in high-income international locations comparable to the US. However because of fashionable medication, and higher public security normally, this quantity has been diminished to virtually zero in wealthy international locations.
15. In 1990, the UNs Millennium Growth Objectives included a goal of halving poverty by 2015. That purpose was achieved 5 years early. In 1990, greater than one-third (36 %) of the worlds inhabitants lived in abject poverty; by 2010 the quantity had been minimize in half (18 %). Based on the most up-to-date estimates, in 2015, the quantity had dropped to 10 %. Since 1990, almost 1.1 billion fewer persons are residing in excessive poverty. In 2015, 736 million individuals lived on lower than $1.90 a day, down from 1.85 billion in 1990. On day by day within the final 25 years, Roser and Ortiz-Ospina say, there may have been a newspaper headline studying, The variety of individuals in excessive poverty fell by 128,000 since yesterday.