Advertising supervisor for Bible Gateway.
The season of Lent invitations us to return to God with our complete coronary heart. It’s a theme that runs all through Scripture and Gods relationship together with his individuals. All through this Bible examine, which you’ll learn by yourself or in a gaggle setting, you’ll discover hyperlinks to Bible Gateway with notes that open routinely in your display to the correct of the Bible textual content within the Research sidebar.
We suggest that you simply join a free 30-day trial to Bible Gateway Plus with a view to entry all the fabric. Nevertheless, it’s not crucial so that you can develop into a member with a view to get pleasure from this devotional sequence.
Ready and Persevering for Gods Promise
From Genesis to Revelation, the Scriptures are stuffed with Gods guarantees to his peoplepromises to supply, to rescue, to save lots of. God was true to each promise, however between the promise and the achievement, Gods individuals typically needed to wait and persevere via hardship and opposition. They needed to have religion. As we stroll via the season of Lent to Easter, the Scriptures have a lot to show us about what it means to attend on the Lord, to persevere, and to place confidence in Gods guarantees for our personal lives.
1. Biblical writers painting Abraham as a mannequin of religion, as one who obtained what God promised as a result of he waited patiently for it (Hebrews 6:15 GW). Learn Genesis 15:112, 1718 (NRSV), which tells the story of Gods covenant promise to Abraham.
- For insights into this passage, learn the be aware The covenant dramatized (15:1 21) within the Asbury Bible Commentary. What are the guarantees inherent within the assertion God makes at first of Abrams imaginative and prescient (v. 1)? What basis do they supply for the guarantees that comply with?
- Abram is a mannequin of religion, however his religion just isn’t blind. Two of his three sentences on this passage are questions (15:2, 8). Whilst he receives Gods promise, he laments the impossibility of his circumstances, seeks reassurance, and experiences a deep and terrifying darkness. What three phrases or phrases would you utilize to characterize the mannequin religion exemplified by Abrams dialog with God?
- Commenting on verse 6, the Asbury Bible Commentary states that Abram accepts the phrase of God as reliable and believes God to be God. What does this counsel concerning the nature of religion? How would possibly Abrams religion have been completely different had he chosen as a substitute to place his religion within the promise (of land and an inheritor) quite than the giver of the promise?
2. One of many methods we journey with Christ to the cross throughout Lent is by taking severely something that may preserve us from taking over our personal cross (Matthew 16:24). Learn Luke 13:3135 (NLT, NIV), which tells one story of how Jesus did thishow he faithfully persevered on his journey to the cross.
- Each the Pharisees and Herod are intent on horrifying Jesus away from Jerusalem with threats. In his response, Jesus makes use of two animal metaphors, fox and hen/chicks. To be taught extra concerning the significance of those animals, see this be aware within the Expositors Bible Commentary, or the be aware Go inform that fox Luke 13:32) within the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary of the New Testomony. What does the character of the fox reveal about how Jesus views the threats? In distinction, what does the picture of the hen/chicks reveal about how Jesus views his goal?
- Jesus counters the threats towards him not by working away to save lots of his life, because the Pharisees urged him to do, however by boldly proclaiming that nothing would preserve him from sacrificing his lifehe should proceed to Jerusalem and to the cross. He should full his mission of affection, even within the face of rejection by these he got here to save lots of. What does Jesus response reveal concerning the true nature of the menace from Herod and what was at stake?
Questions for Reflection
- In what present circumstances do you most have to obtain a promise from God? How do you want God to be your defend, to guard you when you look ahead to the promise to be fulfilled?
- Within the circumstances you simply recognized, how would you describe the distinction between placing your religion within the promise and placing your religion within the giver of the promise?
- To comply with Jesus to the cross is to hitch him in his mission of sacrificial love. Within the week forward, what obstacles or threats would possibly preserve you from taking over your cross and selecting to like? Think about each inner threats (self-defeating habits of thought and habits) in addition to exterior threats (opposition or rejection from others).
- What involves thoughts in case you consider the threats you simply recognized as having the character of a fox? For instance, how would possibly the threats be sly in deceiving you, or maybe extra insignificant than you notice?
- How would possibly you be daring in your religion, declaring that nothing will preserve you from taking over your cross and carrying out your mission of affection?
A Prayer for the Week Forward
For Extra Research
- Psalm 27, the prayer for the week, has been described as a prayer of braveness or fearless religion. See notes within the Believers Bible Commentary, which pairs this psalm with occasions within the lifetime of Christ, and suggests how he might have prayed these verses when he was struggling and wanted braveness.
- In Romans 4:125, the apostle Paul makes a connection between how Abraham was justified by religion and the way we’re justified by religion in Christ. Gods guarantees are at all times realized via religion. For an summary of Gods guarantees and their traits, see the corresponding be aware for this passage within the Dictionary of Bible Themes, 5467 guarantees, divine.
- To be taught extra about how New Testomony writers describe Abraham as each a mannequin and forefather of religion, see Hebrews 11:812, 1719; Galatians 3:6 9, 1418, 2629; James 2:2124. For a complete overview of Abrahams life, together with geographical context, chronology, and archaeology, go to Genesis 15 and skim the corresponding be aware for Abraham within the Encyclopedia of the Bible.
Examine in subsequent week for Week Three of Strolling with Christ to the Cross: Ready and Persevering for Gods Promise.
When you missed earlier weeks, they are often discovered on our Strolling with Christ web page right here.