The season of Lent invitations us to return to God with our complete coronary heart. It’s a theme that runs all through Scripture and Gods relationship together with his folks. All through this Bible examine, which you’ll be able to learn by yourself or in a bunch setting, you’ll discover hyperlinks to Bible Gateway with notes that open robotically in your display to the appropriate of the Bible textual content within the Examine sidebar.
We suggest that you simply join a free 30-day trial to Bible Gateway Plus in an effort to entry all the fabric. Nonetheless, it’s not vital so that you can change into a member in an effort to get pleasure from this devotional collection.
On this sixth week of Lent, we stroll with Christ as he reaches his vacation spot, the cross. Our examine focuses on his crucifixion, demise, and burial as recorded in Luke 23. When you’d prefer to learn via all of the occasions main as much as the crucifixionfrom the Final Supper to Jesus trial earlier than Pilatebegin with the checklist of passages and assets included on the finish of this examine. Studying one to 2 passages a day between now and Easter will let you expertise the entire occasions of Holy Week.
As you learn the three passages under, we invite you to take action slowly and prayerfully. Think about your self bodily current as every occasion unfolds, and use your senses to soak up all the main points the passages relate. What do you see, hear, scent, contact, or style because the troopers mock, the ladies weep, the skies develop darkish, Jesus physique is taken down, and the ladies put together spices for the tomb? Enable these sensory particulars to attract you extra totally into Christs Ardour, and that can assist you mirror on what his struggling and demise may imply for you now.
1. The Crucifixion (Luke 23:2643)
For insights into this passage, learn the corresponding observe I. The Crucifixion (23:2656) within the Asbury Bible Commentary.
- How does Luke show Jesus innocence and righteousness?
- In what methods is Jesus compassion and love evident whilst he’s being put to demise?
- Luke spares his readers particulars of the act of crucifixion, writing solely, they nailed him to a cross (v. 33). To study extra concerning the Roman observe of execution, see the corresponding observe Crucifixion in Eastons Bible Dictionary. Jesus, the sinless son of God, skilled essentially the most shameful and excruciating type of demise. Along with extended bodily torture and violence, he was mocked, cursed, and profoundly shamed. What does the brutality of Jesus struggling and demise reveal about his humility and obedience (Philippians 2:8)? Concerning the depths of his belief in God?
- Luke information a outstanding dialog amongst Jesus and the criminals who have been crucified with him. For added insights, learn the corresponding observe Luke 23:3243. The Penitent Felony in Halleys Bible Handbook Notes. The 2 criminals had dedicated the identical crimes and acquired the identical demise sentence, however had radically completely different responses to Jesus. What do their phrases recommend about what was completely different between them? How would you describe the basic situation of every mans coronary heart?
- In an effort to arrange his disciples for his impending demise, Jesus had beforehand stated, Nobody can take my life from me. I sacrifice it voluntarily. For I’ve the authority to put it down after I wish to and likewise to take it up once more (John 10:18 NLT). Jesus makes it clear that he’s not a sufferer. As an alternative, his demise is a sacrifice, an empowered selection constituted of a place of authority. Why is it so essential that the disciples perceive this distinction? What insights does it present about how Jesus responds to the folks and occasions on this passage?
2. The Dying of Jesus (Luke 23:4449)
For insights into this passage, learn the corresponding verse-by-verse notes within the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary of the New Testomony.
- This passage contains essential symbolism. The supernatural noontime darkness conveys judgment. The sudden tearing of the temple curtain conveys new and direct entry to God. Why may it’s essential to Luke to notice these two particulars collectively (vv. 4445)?
- Jesus dies uttering phrases from a Psalm of confidence, Psalm 31:5, notes the creator of The IVP New Testomony Commentary Collection. The righteous sufferer has suffered and gained by trusting God each step of the way in which (The Crucifixion (23:2649 in The IVP New Testomony Commentary Collection). What significance may there be in the truth that Jesus utters these final phrases not as a feeble whisper, however as a shout (v. 46)?
- Luke notes three responses amongst those that witnessed Jesus demise: the centurion worships God (v. 47), the crowds go residence in deep sorrow (v. 48), and Jesus associates stand at a distance watching (v. 49). Think about witnessing Jesus demise from all three views. What do you see that leads you to worship? To expertise deep sorrow? To face at a distance and watch?
3. The Burial of Jesus (Luke 23:5056)
For insights into this passage, learn the corresponding observe The Burial of Jesus (23:5056) in The IVP New Testomony Commentary Collection.
- Jesus has died a shameful demise by the hands of enemies, however is buried with honor by religious and devoted associates. How do the main points of his burial start to level to what his demise has achieved?
- Joseph of Arimathea, a rich and religious non secular chief, had already bought a tomb for his personal burial. How would you describe the importance of the truth that he provides his grave to Christ?
Questions for Reflection
- How does understanding extra concerning the brutality of Jesus struggling and demise impression you and your relationship with Christ?
- How does the way in which Jesus suffered and died show what it means to dwell cruciform, to permit our lives to be formed by a cross of sacrificial love? In what circumstances or relationships do you sense God could also be inviting you to dwell cruciformto make an empowered selection to like sacrificially?
A Prayer for the Week Forward
For Extra Examine
- For a day-by-day chart of occasions in Jesus last week as recorded within the 4 Gospels, go to Luke 22 and see the corresponding observe The Final Week within the NIV Quest Examine Bible Notes. For a story abstract and illustrations of Jerusalem, go to Luke 23:4449 and see the corresponding observe for Ardour Week Bethany, the Mount of Olives and Jerusalem within the NIV Examine Bible Notes.
Occasions Resulting in the Crucifixion
Use the next checklist of passages and assets to stroll with Christ via all of the occasions main as much as the crucifixion, as informed in Luke 22 and 23.
Examine in subsequent week for Week 7 of Strolling with Christ to the Cross: Ready and Persevering for Gods Promise.
When you missed earlier weeks, they are often discovered on our Strolling with Christ to the Cross web page right here.