19 Nov Best News Ever: Find Your Hope (Romans 5:12-21) Sermon Notes
Romans 5:12Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned 13for sin indeed was in the world before the law was given, but sin is not counted where there is no law. 14Yet death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those whose sinning was not like the transgression of Adam, who was a type of the one who was to come.
- Who is Adam?
- Adam is an actual historical person
- Adam is the first person
= if Adam is not first, then he is not head of humanity or type of Jesus
- What Did Adam Do?
- Original Sin (technically original human sin)
- Original Death
- How Does Adam affect Us All?
- Federal comes from the Latin word for covenant
- A covenant has a head (Jesus/Church; Husband/Family; Adam/Humanity)
- Adam means mankind = covenant head of humanity
- Though Eve sinned first, Adam held firstly (not solely) responsible
- We are all in covenant with Adam (e.g. a President, CEO, FATHERS)
- We sin whether or not we have the Law
- Law 1. Diagnoses our condition 2. Tempts our nature
- Imputed in Adam
- Inherited in nature
- Imparted in conception
- Included in choice
Original Sin Explains…
- My personal problem under my problems
- Struggles with my family
- The first priority of parenting
- Why systems and institutions always fail
- Why history is not evolving
- How gospel ministry is our only hope
Romans 5:15But the free gift is not like the trespass. For if many died through one mans trespass, much more have the grace of God and the free gift by the grace of that one man Jesus Christ abounded for many. 16And the free gift is not like the result of that one mans sin. For the judgment following one trespass brought condemnation, but the free gift following many trespasses brought justification. 17For if, because of one mans trespass, death reigned through that one man, much more will those who receive the abundance of grace and the free gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man Jesus Christ. 18Therefore, as one trespass led to condemnation for all men, so one act of righteousness leads to justification and life for all men. 19For as by the one mans disobedience the many were made sinners, so by the one mans obedience the many will be made righteous.
One sinful man/ act brought death
- :18 raises issues for A. limited atonement B. universalism
- :18 all refers to :17 those who receive…grace…the free gift of righteousness
- I am good Adam & Eve alone began good. We all sin by choice. We are unnatural.
- I am free Adam & Eve alone began with free will.
- I am independent We do this with a power of attorney, election, or a coach on a team. God has the right to choose our representative & chose rightly.
Both men started perfectly sinless without a sin nature
In Adam In Christ
Makes sinners Makes righteous
Trespass Free Gift of Grace
Adam turned from the Father in a garden; Jesus turned to the Father in a garden.
Adam was naked and unashamed; Jesus was nearly naked and bore our shame.
Adams sin brought us thorns; Jesus wore a crown of thorns.
Adam substituted himself for God; Jesus was God substituting himself for sinners.
Adam sinned at a tree; Jesus bore our sin on a tree.
Adam died as a sinner; Jesus died for sinners.
Romans 5:20Now the law came in to increase the trespass, but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more, 21so that, as sin reigned in death, grace also might reign through righteousness leading to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
- More Bible = More Sin w/o Holy Spirit (names our sin, tempts our flesh)
- For the believer, grace outruns sin & death