24 Jul Pray for the Best, Prepare for the Worst (1 Peter 4:12-19) Sermon Notes
Beloved (8X 1-2 Ptr) = prized/valued in a loving relationship (e.g. parent-child)
Jesus – 2 Peter 1:17 This is mybelovedSon, with whom I am well pleased,
Jesus life did not look like He was beloved
1. Fiery trial constantly under pressure & threat
2. Insulted drunkard, glutton, friend sinners, demon possessed, illegitimate
3. Suffer for doing good the worlds only perfect Person endured its greatest pain
- one powerful lie is that if we do the right thing life will go good
- suffering and singing are 2 ways of worshipping
Prepare for Fiery Trials
1 Peter 4:12Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you.
Fiery trial coming/prophecy
- XN refused to accommodate the culture or the government
- When govt & culture are rebellious to God, be loyal to His authority
- Opposition was becoming persecution
- Nero 64 AD fire in Rome, 5 days city burned, Nero away, rumor he started fire to rebuild city to his glory, XN scapegoat, like German Jews, Peter & Paul killed
fiery trial hell unleashed in your life; (spring/opposition to summer/persecution)
- This aint Heaven, so dont be shocked when hell shows up
- If you are fully for God, then culture & govt will eventually be against you
- Dont confuse the worlds hatred of you with the Fathers heart for you
Fiery trial = cultural & govt pressure to persecution
National & global issues are felt personally but not personal
Prepare Suffering and Slander
1 Peter 4:13But rejoice insofar as you share Christs sufferings, that you may also rejoice and be glad when his glory is revealed. 14If you are insulted for the name of Christ, you are blessed, because the Spirit of glory and of God rests upon you. 15But let none of you suffer as a murderer or a thief or an evildoer or as a meddler. 16Yet if anyone suffers as a Christian, let him not be ashamed, but let him glorify God in that name.
To be a Christian is to be stereotyped & slandered (when not if)
- Christian only 3 X in NT pejorative term from critics little Christ
- Name calling & stereotyping means you are no longer a person
- Jesus glutton, drunkard, friend sinners, illegitimate, demonic, criminal, family though crazy, cross King of Jews, on cross saved others not Himself
= Negative Narrative
When suffering & slandered Dont
- suffer because of choosing evil
A. you cave in & join rebellion
B. have a sense of entitlement/owed
- be ashamed of Christ & Christianity
Jesus Lordship rules internal & external = our faith cannot be private
When Suffering & slandered Do
- rejoice and be glad command emotions (sail)
- glorify God command will (rudder)
On Team Jesus! 2 sides in the battle, at least youre on the winning Team!
1. Jesus Beloved:? Look @ suffering & slander
Suffering & slander does not mean God is angry at or punishing you
2. Jesus Joy?: man of sorrows, Jesus wept
Hebrews 12:2 looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.
-XN & Non-XN go thru same experience. XN blessing other side suffering!
Rejoice! 1). confirm my faith 2). glorify my God Jesus 3). witness to you
3. Jesus Powerful?: harassed, arrested, beaten killed
Spirit of God rested on Jesus (@baptism)
More painful suffering = more power Spirit
Suffering & Slander You Will Increasingly Endure
- Early Church 1. atheists 2. cannibals
social Marxism lie wont bless (racist); XN marriage (homophobe/bigot); fathers are foundational (patriarchal chauvinist); unborn is life (antichoice antiwoman sexist); socialism (racist oppressor); Jesus only (intolerant religious bigot); I dont agree (privileged narcissist), I believe the Bible (Western cultural ideals)
6 Thoughts From the Frontlines
1. If you believe that Biblical Christianity is the most loving & helpful then love people enough to remain steadfast not out of anger to defeat them but love to deliver them
2. The only way to avoid suffering & slander is say/do/have nothing
3. Turn your critics into coaches
4. If youve already given God your sin, why not throw in your reputation?
5. The power and joy of the Spirit are often waiting for you in the darkness.
6. Dont worry about being on the wrong side of history. Do worry about being on the right side of eternity.
Prepare to Suffer for Doing Good
1 Peter 4:17For it is time for judgment to begin at the household of God; and if it begins with us, what will be the outcome for those who do not obey the gospel of God? 18And If the righteous is scarcely saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner? 19Therefore let those who suffer according to Gods will entrust their souls to a faithful Creator while doing good.
1. The flames of fiery trial show who is really on the side of Hell (apostasy)
-Judas story (used Jesus) got exposed, trusted self, did evil
2. The flames of fiery trial burn away our sin and folly
-Peters story (loved Jesus) got purified, trusted God, did good
- If I prepare you for the worst, and the best comes, life will be easier
- If I prepare you for the best, and the worst comes, life will be impossible
- An escapist or revivalist theology can put you in harms way if fiery trials continue as they did in 2 Peter (revivals we wait for: (financial, political, vaccine, spiritual)