spiritual, mental, emotional, financial, relational, public, physical, personal, empathetic
=A Christian in the Spirit can rejoice in the middle, not just at the end
More suffering = more Spirit
- 1st mention Holy Spirit since 1:4, 20X in Rom. 8
- Principles vs POWER!
- Supernatural Power
Jesus models a personal/powerful relationship with the Holy Spirit
Apostles (4th Cen) born of the Virgin Mary; suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified
Nicene (4th Century) – was incarnate by the Holy Ghost of the Virgin Mary, and was made man, and was crucified also for us under Pontius Pilate
Life & the struggle? Go to heaven when you die?
Jesus in Luke
- Elizabeth & Zech filled w/the HS, John filled w/the HS, from his mother’s womb
- Mary conceived The Holy Spirit will come upon you., Christ anointed HS
- Isaiah 61:12 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me
- full of the Holy Spirit, led by the Spirit, in the power of the Spirit, rejoiced in the HS
- Baptism 2/4 Gospels HS remained
- Supernatural Character
- If it happens, it is because you are now ready.
- God does not cause all that you suffer, but uses all that you suffer.
- Suffering shifts our focus from what we have, to who we become.
- Suffering is a school where we learn about Christ and become like Christ .
- Supernatural Love
People Become Like Their View of God
- Church of England 39 Articles & Westminster Confession of faith
- God is without body, parts, or passions.
- Greek view of God if He has emotions we can effect Him
- Tried to preserve Gods immutability unchanging
- God not emotional or relational = non-emotional non-relational Christian men
Jesus Is Emotional
Very little written outside Bible
60 emotions in gospels
- Jesus teaching appeals to our emotions (parables)
- Jesus wants us to love God with all our hearts
- Jesus sense humor (30X) preposterous exaggeration plank/speck; camel eye needle
- Jesus emotions include rejoicing & anger, joy & sorrow, gladness & grief, peace & distress, disappointment & amazement, love, #1 compassion
- Jesus emotions increase toward His cross
- Jesus is a perfect emotional life
- Not positive & negative emotions but flesh & spirit expressions of emotions
- God commands you to have dominion over your emotions
If the Spirit pours love in you, then love will pour out of you when suffering
Luke 11:13 the heavenly Father[will] give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!
- What is your life struggle right now?
- What is your life blessing right now?
- How is God pouring out His love to you?
- How can we pray for you?