07 Oct Real Men: A Critic vs. A Coach (Romans 2:1-11)
- Freshman year state baseball playoffs critic & coach saying same thing
- Men most powerful people in your life were your critics & your coaches
Romans 2:1Therefore you have no excuse, O man, every one of you who judges. For in passing judgment on another you condemn yourself, because you, the judge, practice the very same things.
- Always the judge, never the judged
- Law for you grace for me
- Punishment for you excuses for me
Types of male critics
- Religious Guy
- Jock Dude
- Military General
Tactics of male critics
- In authority but not under authority
- Rarely if ever says was wrong or sorry
= Leadership secrets of Billy Graham, he turned his critics into his coaches
Romans 2:4 the riches of his kindness and forbearance and patience…is meant to lead you to repentance
- Kindness = helpful
- Forbearance = patiently working through a problem/issue/need
- Patience = calm, level headed, emotionally steady
- Repentance = healthy/godly change of head/heart/hands
A Critic vs A Coach
Intent to harm Intent to help
Goal is perfection Goal is progress
Beat you down Build you up
Public correction Private correction
Run from Run to
- Do you see God more as a critic or a coach? Why?
- Who have been some of the most helpful coaches in your life?
- Who has God placed in front of you to help coach them up?
- Do you tend to be more of a critic or a coach?
- How can we pray for you?