04 Nov Real Men: Fathers in the Faith
Fathers in the Faith
Romans 4:9, 11-12 faith was counted to Abraham as righteousness…The purpose was to make him the father of all who believe without being circumcised, so that righteousness would be counted to them as well, and to make him the father of the circumcised who are not merely circumcised but who also walk in the footsteps of the faith that our fatherAbraham had before he was circumcised.
Story of Ashleys birth; hep c (drug needle) hep b (prostitute)
- Jesus is emphasized in Evangelical churches
- Holy Spirit is emphasized in Charismatic & Pentecostal churches
- Jesus & Holy Spirit emphasized Father
- #1 name for God 65X Matt-Luke; 100X John = 165X
- Abba no indication this word used before Jesus of God
- Father is not emphasized
= 60% Church attenders female
= set up an environment for women/children
2 Kinds Fathers
- Abraham & genealogies of Jewish descendants
- Paul (1 Cor. 4:15 Tim/Titus/Onesimus)
- John my little children
- Abraham spiritual father for Gentile & Jewish believers in Jesus Christ
College Pastor, College family, Hutch, seminary, today 4 pastors
Living for a Legacy
Matthew 1:17 So all the generations from Abraham to David were fourteen generations, and from David to the deportation to Babylon fourteen generations, and from the deportation to Babylon to the Christ fourteen generations.
- Abrahams father unbeliever (Neh. 9:7; Acts 7:2-4)
- Abraham believer and father of a multitude
- Isaac second generation believer
- Jacob third generation believer
= 42 generations from Abraham to Jesus Christ
- Bradford Wilcox esteemed Sociologist UV, massive research
?Men or Government?
- Beliefs 1. Bible Gods Word 2. people sinners 3. Jesus as Savior
- Behavior 1. Church attendance 2. Bible reading 3. prayer
Bradford Wilcox Soft Patriarchs, New Men
- Best fathers active, involved, encouraging, helpful
- Best husbands highest marital satisfaction w/wives, date nights, lowest domestic violence
- Best families lowest divorce, highest satisfaction group
- Family follows the father Gods design plan
Church: 1. sacred canopy meaning 2. teaching for the family 3. like-minded friends 4. models
- Are you more familiar with God the Father, Son, or Spirit?
- What generation of faith are you in your family line of men?
- Who has been like a spiritual father to you?
- Who looks to you like a spiritual big brother or father?
- How can we pray for you?